Friday, January 31, 2014

Cluck Cluck & an Announcement

By Michelle


As I said in my last post, I am finding myself thinking more and more about homesteading. That old dream has resurfaced out of the back of my heart and has got me making plans for this summer… Big plans.

Besides having another garden, I have decided to try out something that I started but was unable to complete a few years ago. CHICKENS! I have started back to researching all things chicken and I really think I'll be much more successful this second time around.

 Chicken Coop's on Pinterest
First off, I plan on building a really nice coop with the help of my power tools and oldest daughters boyfriend. Also at this point, their are even more books on the subject of Urban Chickens than their were a few years ago when I gave it my first shot. Something else that is available now is Pinterest, which opens up a whole new world of ideas.

I am debating on if I'll recycle a piece of furniture to build my coop or build it from scratch. I am also trying to decide if I'll put the coop in my garage with the run outside or if all of it will be outside. With the Ohio winter we are currently having, I would be very worried about the birds surviving if I had them this year.

I will be ordering 5-6 hens from Murray McMurray Hatchery, probably in April, and I might just drive down and pick them up myself. It is only a few hours from where I live and it could be a fun outing. I am still trying to decide which kind of hens I'll get so I'll show you some of my favorites.
 
Black Australorps
Golden Laced Wyandottes
Silver Laced Wyandottes
Buff Rocks
Light Brahmas
Barred Rocks
Rhode Island Red
Aracanas / Ameraucanas (Easter Eggers) Blue Eggs

Next time I'll give you some of my favorite books on Urban Chickens and some of my ideas for our backyard coop. In the meantime, I wanted to share with you a blog I stumbled across that I love! It is Ohio Thoughts and if you are at all interested in homesteading, you'll love it too. 




OK Announcement time! 

Tomorrow we are launching our very 1st Giveaway here on BarnWood Girls! It is something all the homeschool mama's will want. Don't forget to check back as we give away this Awesome GIFT!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment