Tuesday, March 4, 2014

You can do it!

So I went jean shopping yesterday....not my favorite thing to do in the world, for many reasons. First of all, because, in my opinion, all jeans look the same, and when you're presented with an entire wall of denim, it can get a little overwhelming...more importantly, however, and more to the point of this post, I have never enjoyed jean shopping because it always made be feel insecure about how I looked. My shape is pretty straight forward. smaller at the waist than the hips, which is really good for hiding that few extra pounds, but not so cute when you have that gap at the back of your pants. Ya know what I mean? Not. Cute.

Anywho, Old Navy was having a sale on jeans, and I just got paid, and I had spent the day hoisting up my pants...which, by the by, there is no way to do that and look like a lady....there just isn't. SO I moseyed my way over to the mall to have a look-see at their jean selection. I found my size and went into the dressing room to try those puppies on...and you know what? They were too big. Shocked, I went back to the rack to grab the next size down, and, JUST IN CASE, the next size down from that, and went back to the changing room. I tried the first pair on...too big. Huh. At this point I was completely confused and preparing to grumble at the lack of quality in Old Navy's jeans! I say this because, it has been my experience that the next size down would be too small, and I would have to go away empty-handed. But you know what? They weren't. They fit perfectly! And I was surprised. Because these pants were 2 sizes smaller than the pants I was wearing when I came into the store. I must confess I did a little happy dance in the changing room stall just then :) because I remember a time not too long ago when I was sooooo happy I could fit into those too-big jeans. I think I went up to everyone I know and said "guess what size these are!" and did a little model pose lol

To back the story up a little, I have been receiving quite a bit more attention of late than I am used to. I hardly make it through the door at church before people start exclaiming how thin I am! Last week, the guy that plays the drums in our praise band, a guy I barely talk to other than to say hi, etc., came up to me and said "Hey, have you been working out? Because you look really good!" I of course about passed out right there in the hallway, let me tell you.

My point of telling you all this is not to milk the moment, or to announce how great I am! But these things that happened to me over the course of the last three weeks or so kind of inspired me to give you all some encouragement. If you're on a journey to lose weight and become healthier, I need to tell you that people aren't going to notice right away. I started my journey over two years ago, and it was slow going, that's for sure! And all that time I felt like no one was noticing my hard work. In that time I have been insulted more than once...usually by my own family(one year for Christmas I got a man's t-shirt in the size XXL...a size I never wore, even at my heaviest...not a fun year) but now it's all coming at once, and I almost don't know what to make of it!

I just wanted to tell you all that you're gonna make it. Trust me, it's hard, and you hate it, and your body hurts, and you eat weird food now, but soon, it'll all be worth it. I saw a quote the other day that said "When you want to give up, think about why you started.". Don't give up! Pretty soon you'll be seeing major results, and you'll have to get a whole new wardrobe because none of your clothes fit! What a great problem to have!!!

Good luck.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment