Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Finding Beauty

-Post by Michelle


The 2013-2014 school year is at about that mid-way point. The craziness of the holidays are over and you may or may not have gotten back into the swing of things. My plan was to start back to school on Monday, January 6th. In fact I had typed up my next 12 weeks worth of goals and printed them off. I had tidied up the school room, sweeping under the bookshelves and tossing old papers. But then we had a big snow storm on the way and I started spending a lot of time indoors. A perfect time to get going with school you say? Well see, there is the problem. I didn't want to do school, and if "I" didn't want to do school, what is that saying about the kids? 

I realized that as the school year progressed I had gotten more and more streamlined until all I was doing were the bare essentials. Gone were the enchanted tales from my living library, daily time with the great artists and composers, gone were the trips to the park to study the birds, flora and fauna. All that remained were the math worksheets, spelling lists and reading programs to plow through. 

So, I began an evaluation. I looked over my lesson plans, and while they were solid in the 3R's, they need some tweaking. To start the process, I revisited some old favorites on the web and in my books. I read, and read and took notes to re-inspire myself and our homeschool to find the missing factor. I realized, we needed to find the beauty. 

As humans, we were created to live in a beautiful world, that was perfect and without flaw. Just because we no longer live in that perfection does not mean that beauty is no longer out there or that we no longer need it. In fact, I would be so bold as to say we not only need beauty to thrive, we need it to live. 

Vegetables are good for you, but rotten, ugly vegetables will make you sick. Step outside, surround yourself with automobiles and gas fumes, noise pollution, and littered streets and you'll find yourself stressed and maybe a little nauseous. Now walk with me to the local public gardens. Sit down by the running brook while the children run in and out of the weeping willow branches. Hear the squawk of the canadian geese and smell the scent of flowers carried by the wind. 

For our children... find the beauty. 

For me that beauty exists in the Charlotte Mason method of homeschooling, for you it may be something else. It doesn't matter, as long as it brings the beauty of learning back into your home. What is it that will bring life to the precious time you have with your children each day? Whatever that is, find it and do it!

The Practical 

Now I am going to share a few resources that I am working through to add the beauty back into my homeschool. 

Nature Study
As I said before, we are in the midst of a major snow storm and extreme cold streak, but that hasn't stopped my children from doing their own form of nature study... play. Since I had no requirements to do school, they have been exploring the nature of snow and enjoying every minute of it. Nature study is not something that needs planning. It is often something that children do with or without us... as long as we don't hinder their them from doing so. Give them the time to enjoy what God has given us and be amazed what they learn! 







On the other hand, there is no harm in having some sort of plan or guide to keep the learning alive and kicking. For moments like that you may enjoy using The Nature Connection by Clare Walker Leslie. I am working through this gorgeous book right now and I am excited to share with you any plans I end up writing to go along with it. There are actual journal pages on Storey's website that you can print off and use along with the book. 


History & Literature 

We had started off the year using Beautiful Feet's History of the Horse study and while it was good, I overestimated my daughters love of horses. I also miss the fine mix of history and literature we are used to. So I began reading through the history plans over at CharlotteMasonHelp.com . I choose the 3rd year plans because the books most appealed to me. I will be reading these to my 7 year old son and 10 year old daughter. The books I am starting with are: 

  • This Country of Ours - (Reading about the Presidents)
  • Carry On Mr. Bowditch
  • Caddie Woodlawn
  • The Lewis and Clark Expedition
  • Seabird - Geography
My 12 Week Plan
History Spine
This Country of Ours
Ch. 64
Washington
Ch. 65
Adams
Ch. 66
Jefferson
Ch. 67
Jefferson
Ch. 68
Jefferson
Ch. 69
Madison
Ch. 70
War of 1812
Ch. 71
Monroe
Ch. 72
Adams
Ch. 73a
Jackson
Ch. 73b
Van Buren
Ch. 74
Harrison
Carry on Mr. Bowditch
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
Lewis and Clark Expedition
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11, 12
13, 14
Caddie Woodlawn
1, 2
3, 4
5, 6
7, 8
9, 10
11, 12
13, 14
15, 16
17, 18
19, 20
21, 22
23, 24
Geography
Circle Louisiana Purchase; Draw L&C route
Seabird
ch 1, 2
Seabird
ch 3, 4
Seabird
ch 5, 6
Seabird
ch 7, 8
Seabird
ch 9,10
Seabird
ch 11,12
Seabird
ch 13,14
Seabird
ch 15,16
Seabird
ch 17,18
Seabird
Ch 19, 20, 21
Seabird
22, 23, 24
Seabird
Finish book


I expect we will be working through narrations, making homemade books, maps, coloring the presidents, singing the Presidents Song, watching documentaries, and working through a few activity books on the these topics. 

And finally I will be adding in the picture study and music study that has been so successful for us in the past. I will share more on that in a future post. For now, may you find the beauty.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment